"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18.2







Tuesday, July 31, 2012

When your children are older than you...

Yesterday was my older daughter's 40th birthday. In December,
my younger daughter will turn 35. What I can't wrap my head around
is this: how can I have children that age when I'm only 35 myself!?!?!
 
Years ago I heard or read, "The secret to growing old gracefully is to
pick an age you like and stick with it." So I chose 35. Honestly, in my
head and in my heart, that's my age. My knees and shoulders would
argue, but overall I feel 35.

Another quote that resonates with me is, "We don't stop playing
because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
In my humble opinion a major component of playing is being silly.
I love being silly. Being silly rocks! Sure, I get strange looks
from other adults. Whatever.

Me and Martie being very silly in the photo booth
 
Recently someone posted this on FB: "How can you become
old and wise if you were never young and crazy?"
To which I replied, "Who wants to be 'old and wise'?
I plan to be young and crazy my entire life!"

My daughter, Leslie, and her friend Martie
 
My daughter Leslie had a terrific party to celebrate the big 40.
She rented a photo booth, you know, the kind where you
get inside, pose, and press the button. There was a LOT of silliness
going on in that photo booth!

My son-in-law Boo and his brother Alan
 
I'm guessing that the average "age" of the party guests was about 15.
The photos I've shown here are only a small sampling. 

One last quote: "How old would you be if you
didn't know how old you are?"

Today, be silly, be young, and be at least crazy enough to
make people stare!

Until next time,

Beverly


3 comments:

  1. Beverly, we have a lot in common! Thank you for the encouraging comments you have left on my blog posts! I, too, am younger than my children, I'm quite sure. They are 42 and 41 now. I know I'm not THAT old! I also play piano and LOVE contemporary Christian music, especially when my son and grandson are playing/singing it! Thanks again for visiting my blog and being an encourager for me! Your projects look great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I think I'll pick an age and stick with it too! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With another birthday fast approaching, I can definitely relate! I picked 42 (who knows why??) and have stayed there ever since... LOL. I think the trick is to stay "young at heart" regardless of wrinkles and aches that seem to show up unannounced.
    Great post!!

    Sharon
    http://mystoryart.com

    ReplyDelete