"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18.2







Friday, April 8, 2011

What would Miss Melly do?

We're all familiar with WWJD, seen on T-shirts, bracelets, necklaces, bumper stickers... you name it. And I'm all for it; we should stop and think, "In this situation, with this person, what would Jesus do?" However, I think for many, that's a bit lofty; we're human and it's kinda difficult to think like the Son of God sometimes. So here's my updated version: What would Miss Melly do? You remember Melanie Hamilton Wilkes from Gone With the Wind? If there's ever been a human with the ability to see the good in every person she encountered, it was Miss Melly. She was never judgmental, a claim to fame I cannot boast.


What really grabs my gut about this whole judgement thing is this: I'm a big girl - okay, I'm fat. I don't say that in shame or self-hatred. It's simply a fact. And I hate when people judge me, assuming that because I'm fat, I can't possibly be intelligent or talented. And yet, I find myself doing the same thing! Some people just "look" stupid, or lazy, or shifty, or whatever. If anyone knows you truly can't judge a book by its cover, that should be me!

Going back to Jesus (which, BTW, is always a good idea), I think we fail to realize that He hung out with the rough crowd. The "sinners", as it says in the scriptures. So I'm thinking thieves, ruffians, drunks, druggies (yes, they abused drugs back then), gays (homosexuality was rampant in those days), harlots, all the sorts of people we "good folks" look down upon and avoid at all costs.

And why would they hang around with Jesus? I don't think they would have wanted to be around Him if He were judgmental or preachy or constantly reminding them of their sins and shortcomings. So what could it have been? I'm thinking it was because He knew their sins and loved them anyway - real, honest, no hidden agenda love. Just as He loves us all that way.

Back to Miss Melly: that's the way she was. Remember how she felt no shame in being seen with Belle Watling? Remember how she welcomed that hussy Scarlet into her home after Scarlet had been caught in the arms of Melanie's spineless husband, Ashley? (There I go judging again...)



Jesus is still our ultimate role model. But when it's a little difficult to imagine what He would do, just think about Gone With the Wind and ask yourself: What would Miss Melly do?

Miss Melly - you rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment