"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18.2







Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Declaration of Freedom

I hereby proclaim and declare that I have given myself permission to:
  • stop using all my time and energy to produce pieces to sell
  • forget trying to please an unknown buyer
  • participate in any challenge that strikes my fancy (BTW, I've always wondered where my fancy is located...)
  • "waste" hours doodling and experimenting and just messing around in my art room
  • focus on creating and finding my own unique creative voice
  • get back to having fun with art
So there you have it.

Detail from The Scream, c. 1893
by Edvard Munch

What is it with "should"? I should sell my things. I should do more collage work. I should do more painting. I should do more sewing. My art should be more colorful. It should be more shabby. It should be more like that artist's work. I have come to the conclusion that SHOULD is a 4-letter word. Well, not technically, but you know what I mean.

All those shoulds weigh me down, burden me and stifle me to the point where I just don't do anything. My two escapes are sleep and the computer. My drugs of choice. 

I've been thinking about and pondering all this for some time now. It was a huge step to release myself from all the shoulds, mine and the ones others impose upon me. But no more! Are you fooled by my bravado? Yeah, I'm not either. This is going to be a real challenge. Hopefully the payoff will be  - wait for it - creating! Art that I like, that was fun and interesting to make. Art that has pushed my creative and technical boundaries. Art that I can photograph and share with you here on my blog.

I saw a quote recently: Make your life an exclamation, not an explanation. Wow, and ouch. So here I go. No more explaining why I didn't, but exclaming my newfound freedom to make art! Hooray for me!

Until next time,

Beverly

7 comments:

  1. BRAVO! Well put and might I add, I agree. I think that we, as artists, are harder on ourselves and try to make and do whatever seems to please someone else. Why can't we please ourselves? When we try to force our muse to go in a different direction then it usually is a disaster. Just follow your muse wherever it may lead, and satisfy yourself. Or not, you don't have to do art everyday. And when the urge strikes you, your muse will be there to inspire you along the way.

    Debbie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I love your declaration of freedom. At this particular stage of my life, I am able to spend a lot of my days just in the way you describe, and it is pretty awesome. While I am my own worst critic, and I do find myself wishing my "creations" could be more ____ (whatever), for the most part, I do pretty much what I WANT to do, and SHOULD can become a four-letter word, for sure! I encourage you to stick with your goals on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo Beverly, I know just how you feel.
    After the last couple of years I decided to drop most of the DT's and just do what I want to do. Its so freeing! Now I enjoy spending time in my studio. If only I could find a way to quit my day job. LOL
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beverly can you send me your email? then I can send you some more info on the molds.
    Thanks Lynn

    minpinsloveme at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that so many of us experience these thoughts at some point in our artistic efforts. Bravo to you Beverly--I love that quote! I just might have to put that on my blog as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU GO GIRL!!!! I think we do all have these feelings sometimes...kudos to you for putting it out there! May you achieve your dreams!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to pop over and say hello. I appreciate the kind words you left on my blog today. I am not sure if you are still blogging here, but found this article and LOVED it. I believe that our art should make US happy and when it does, it will make others happy too. I try new things all the time, some work, some are epic fails, but the process is always fun for me. I am a worrier so I am striving to take some of the worry and keep it out of my studio. Love your DECLORATION OF FREEDOM! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete